Sunday, October 27, 2013

Reader Results: The Top Ten Greatest Horror Films (1960 - 2000)



The votes have been counted and re-counted.  The results are in.  We have our list of winners for this month's Reader's Top Ten: the Greatest Horror Films (1960 - 2000).

As selected by the readers of this blog, the top ten greatest Horror Films of the period 1960 - 2000 are (drum-roll please...):

Tied for 9th and 10th place:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Jaws (1975)

At number 8:

The Shining (1980)


Tied for sixth and seventh place:


The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

The Wicker Man (1973)


At fifth place:

Psycho (1960)



Tied for Third and Fourth Place:

Alien (1979)

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)

Our runner up, at second place is...


The Exorcist (1973)

And the number one horror film 1960 - 2000 is...


Halloween (1978)

Well, what do you think?


I feel the list represents a remarkable canon or catalog, a basis for a "beginning" of a horror collection in other words.  

I find it extremely interesting that Alien (1979) and The Thing (1982) tied, since both films involve hostile alien life forms that, in one way or another, shift their forms. 

Also, the genuine surprise on the list, I would say, is very high placement of The Wicker Man (1973). It's a great film, of course, but its selection shows, I think, that this list runs deep, not just to easy or mainstream horror titles.

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this month's reader's top ten.  These lists aren't possible without your participation, and I always enjoy reading your explanations/descriptions and selections.

Now, please join me tomorrow for the beginning of Halloween-a-thon 2013. I'll be reviewing horror movies Monday through Thursday, including many of the titles that got mentioned on the reader lists. 

5 comments:

  1. Fine list of horror films.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should I feel slightly saddened that Rawhead Rex has yet to be mentioned by anyone? I mean, nobody ever gives ol’ Rawhead the time of day. And it’s not like he doesn’t try. You know what? Fuck it. I scratch my entire list. From No. 10 to No. 1, it’s Rawhead Rex for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rawhead Rex, good choice.

      SGB

      Delete
  3. Boy so many great ones it's hard to exclude something. For sure, I'd include the original Night Of Living Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I always thought Hellraiser was well done too (along with the sequel). It's good to see Jaws on there, and some of the older films. I might include The Changeling, Re-Animator, and I've always enjoyed the original House of Haunted Hill. I've come to enjoy Fulci's The Beyond and some of his other films too. I'd include Hostel on there as polarizing as it might have been for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great list. Sad to see "The Haunting" didn't at least crack the top ten, but hey, can't win theme all. The 1970s are well represented here, but nothing from the 1990s. "The Wicker Man" is a big surprise for me too. I need to check that film out. I'm also a bit surprised that "Jaws" cracked the top 10. I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't see it as a horror film. More of a man versus nature type movie. Looking forward to your Haloween coverage!

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...