Monday, August 27, 2012

Ask JKM a Question #28: Lucan?

A reader, Ulysses G. asks:

"Have you ever seen or written about Lucan, that 1977-8 tv series? It seems to be completely forgotten today."

"I can never forget it however. It's not on DVD. But it was about a boy who was raised by wolves, and then he has to adapt to the real world as an adult. Starred Kevin Brophy. I did just recently see the pilot episode/movie of it and wish I could see the rest of the episodes all over again. Just curious."

Great question! I have never written before about Lucan, and, in fact, its very existence totally slipped my mind.  And yet, I too remember watching the series as a child.

For those who don't recall Lucan (1977 - 1978), you described it very well.  The concept began as made-for-tv movie, before becoming a short-lived series on ABC.  The series starred Kevin Brophy as a young man who was raised by wolves, then captured by hunters in Minnesota, and indoctrinated into "civilization" at a university by a professor played by John Randolph.

The idea informing Lucan was something like Francois Truffaut's The Wild Child (1970) meets The Man from Atlantis (1976) meets The Fugitive.

Young Lucan had to learn about society and tame his savage ways at the same time he conquered his amnesia about his early, human identity.  In the series, he was pursued by a bounty hunter (Don Gordon) while he attempted to "find himself" and otherwise help out innocent people. 

Like the Man from Atlantis, Lucan boasted inhuman powers, namely wolf instincts and heightened senses.  This "strange creature" had trouble making the transition from "savagery" to "civilization," but as a I recall, it was always clear that his heart was in the right place.  I have vivid memories of seeing his eyes "glow" like a wolf's, and the image on the left for a novel tie-in seems to bear this out.

Lucan ran for about a dozen hour-long episodes, on Monday nights from Christmas 1977 to early summer of 1978.

Like you, I'd love to see a complete series DVD release, but as you also (correctly) note, this series is extremely obscure, and, alas, forgotten.  Thank you for jogging my memory, and reminding us all of another 1970s treasure that should be excavated and made available.

Here's a look at Lucan's opener:


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:20 PM

    John, I remember watching the Lucan series in 1977-78 as a boy. It was interesting.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered this show from mojomoonmedia, they only had 7 or 8 episodes available out of the 12. But it was one of the best $20.00 I ever spent. Now I have to find that movie-tie-in book. I love those! The Pilot episode is currently up on Youtube.

    I really hope MGM releases this show soon. I think it's a cross between all that you said and The Incredible Hulk. Lucan has a sweet, friendly nature reminiscent of David Banner. It's a shame Kevin Brophy didn't go on to bigger roles, I thought he was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I have all 12 episodes of Lucan + the pilot movie. neoneyez@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:19 AM

      How can I get a copy of all 12 episodes?

      Delete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...