Monday, October 22, 2012

Television and Cinema Verities #42


"I put a lot of effort into making Cujo scary.  That started when I was preparing Alligator.  I had Jaws in mind when I was doing that.  Before I started that I film, I wanted to have a few scenes that would make people jump, so I thought about the films I'd seen in my lifetime that scared me.  And I focused on a few that had particularly frightening scenes that made me jump.  The scene in Jaws I selected is where Richard Dreyfuss is swimming underwater at night, discovers a hole in the bottom of a boat, and a head falls into view.  Another scene I focused on was in Wait Until Dark...I studied those scenes to find out what they had in common, to extract a set of principles I could utilize to make a scary scene, and I applied them..."

- Director Lewis Teague talks horror movie craft, in my book, Horror Films of the 1980s (2007), page 310.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...