Sunday, September 06, 2015

At The X-Files Lexicon Blog: Why We Believe


Matt Allair, blogger and X-Files scholar who recently interviewed Homeland show-runner Howard Gordon for Den of Geek, has a new post up at The X-Files Lexicon Blog, titled "Why We Believe."


At the beginning of America’s involvement in World War II, Hollywood produced a series of news reels titled “Why We Fight” to contextualize its importance. I have taken the same liberty while mulling over why this new revival, with six new episodes to start airing in January, is so important, and the ways that fans have demonstrated a faith that mirrors Fox Mulder’s faith.”

The whole piece is worth reading, and comes at a juncture that is no doubt one of the most crucial cross-roads for The X-Files franchise.  I hope we're headed for some great days, and a resurgence of the series.

When I'm not writing, I teach college communications courses, and all my students (most of them born in 1997, 1998, or 1999...) raise their hands with recognition when I ask them about The X-Files. 

They love it, and discovered it on Netflix (which is weird to think about, at least for a 45 year old like me...).  The series has undergone a journey similiar, in some ways, to what happened to Star Trek in syndication  A new generation has found it outside of original run (and years later...), and unlike my generation with syndication, these folks had the entire episode catalog at their finger-tips to explore at their own pace and desire.  So I think the audience is there, and primed for a return of X-Files storytelling.
.
Anyway, food for thought as we move into yet another new era. I can't wait till the revival begins in January (and you can bet I'll be blogging every episode as it airs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...