Friday, May 31, 2013

Reader Top Ten Science Fiction Films: Cannon Blaster


The amazing Cannon Blaster, the cat who helped me to re-consider and re-contextualize the 2011 version of The Thing -- and who brilliantly went toe-to-toe with me on Oblivion and Return of the Jedi -- offers his list of top ten SF films.  

As you might suspect, there are some surprises here...

Here's Cannon: 

1. The Thing
2. Alien
3. Blade Runner
4. Jurassic Park
5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
6. Ghost in the Shell
7. THX 1138
8. Youth Without Youth
9. Forbidden Planet
10. Things to Come
Runner-ups:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dredd
Starman
Akira
The Terminator
Minority Report
Total Recall
Altered States 
12 Monkeys
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

This is the first list to include THX-1138, a great film from 1971 that likely deserves a stronger showing than it has received.  

I'll confess, I've never seen Francis Ford Coppola's Youth Without Youth (2007), but I plan to rectify that oversight immediately...

And it looks like Star Trek: The Motion Picture is having a very strong showing in our tally.  It has made the top ten in quite a few lists at this point...


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...