Reader David Fullam tallies up his top ten SF films, below, with some explanations:


"Here is the list of the ten I find to be the best. This WAS NOT easy by any means. Picking only 10 was a pain and several classics were left out. 



1. 2001-A Space Odyssey.
2. The Day The Earth Stood Still (Original).
3. Space Runaway Ideon-Be Invoked.
4. Forbidden Planet.
5. Andromeda Strain.
6. Silent Running.
7. Things to Come.
8. War of the Worlds (George Pal version).
9. Invaders From Mars (Original).
10. Mobile Suit Gundam 3-Reunion in Space.


Just missing out were Blade Runner, Metropolis, Star Trek 2-The Wrath of Khan, The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars and The Thing From Another World. I feel that Alien and the Carpenter version of The Thing are actually Horror films. I tried to limit it to what I feel is straight up Science Fiction, which is why classics like THEM and Godzilla (1954) are not here. I think they veer more towards Monster movies."

Great list, David!  I also seriously pondered The Andromeda Strain, Things to Come and Silent Running, so I'm happy to see all those titles made your list.  Your anime choices -- I must admit -- are not from my field of expertise, but I'm dipping my toe into anime with Star Blazers at the moment (and have already watched Evangelion).  I'm intrigued by the title of these, so I will definitely check them out at some point.

Also, this is the first time that Invaders from Mars has made the list!  Cool.  I love the expressive production design in that Menzies film.  The whole film takes on a child's eye perspective in an amazing fashion.

And readers: don't forget, I'll be posting reader top tens through Friday, and then tallying up all the votes by the weekend. So send me those lists at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com