Friday, December 30, 2016

2016: A Year of Blogging


It's difficult to believe, but the year 2016 is all but done.

Here on the blog, we used the time this year to look at the extraordinary return of Chris Carter's The X-Files in January, and celebrate the landmark 50th anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek (1966-1969). I will continue to blog classic Star Trek episodes in 2017, until I get through all 79 shows.

Special weeks were also devoted on the blog in 2016 to Tarzan and Westworld, and the premiere of Star Trek: Beyond.

TV series I covered on the blog this year included Millennium (1996-1999), Man from Atlantis (1977), Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979-1981) and, of course, Space:1999 (1975-1977). 

In terms of Saturday morning series, I had the pleasure of reviewing Blackstar (1981), and Tarzan (1976), to name just two Filmation series.

I also spent some time in 2016 revisiting the Die Hard films, and disaster movies of the 1970s.

What's ahead?

Well, 2017 holds tremendous promise. There's a lot to look forward to.


Star Trek: Discovery will bow sometime in May, unless another delay is forthcoming. Also due to return this year: Twin Peaks and Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Also, May 19th will see the premiere of Alien: Covenant, and July 2017 will see the arrival of the next film in the re-booted Planet of the Apes saga: War for the Planet of the Apes.


And what else?  

Well, 2017 also happens to be the 40th anniversary of a little franchise called Star Wars. I'm sure I'll find some way to mark the occasion.

There's also a new King Kong movie to look forward to, and Blade Runner 2.

In terms of the blog's longevity, we're moving into Year 13, starting in April. It's crazy to think that I've been blogging that long.

I want to thank readers, as always, for sticking with me, and continuing to visit the blog, and I hope you will continue to do so in the 12 months ahead. I'll keep writing, if you keep visiting.

Thank you for sharing these past 12 months with me, and I want to wish you all a very happy 2017.

8 comments:

  1. Blade Runner 2?! How much you want to bet they revive, or clone, Roy Batty?

    Thanks for the heads-up and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I, for one, will be interested to see how the replicants have 'evolved' for the new film, and I wonder if there will be a connection to Roy Batty!

      Delete
  2. John, Reflections on Cult Movies and Classic TV blog has been a wonderful ride of your in-depth analysis of both film and television via the written word. Although, I have also enjoyed your multiple radio/podcast interviews too over the past several years. You have always, always, been extremely interactive with your readers and open to discussion with opposing viewpoints. I first discovered you, years before I discovered this blog. It was in 1997 by purchasing multiple McFarland hardcover copies of your Exploring Space:1999 and then in 1999 McFarland hardcover An Analytical Guide To Television's Battlestar Galactica. These books, among others, have been a valuable part of my personal library. As you have stated here, 2017 has so many film and television productions to look forward with your thoughts on.

    Happy New Year 2017!

    All the best,
    SGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you, my friend. Thank you for the kind words, SGB, and please know that they are returned. I look forward to your comments and thoughts, every single day. I appreciate your support of my work in print, and on the net, and the opportunity we have had to compare notes on classics like 1999, and BSG. You are the best!

      warmest regards,
      John

      Delete
  3. What I appreciate most (besides your immense knowledge and keen insight) is your approach. You come at things, not from the cynical viewpoint of a snarky critic (or wanna-be critic), but from the perspective of a passionate fan who WANTS these films and shows to succeed, but can also be objective and call someone out when it is appropriate.

    It is refreshing to come here and get insightful reviews of films that are dismissed and mocked by the mainstream critics, and your coverage of classic TV shows such as Buck Rogers, Logan's Run, Land of the Lost etc) is priceless!

    Happy New Year and all the best for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, thank you so much for a lovely comment. It means the world to me to have your support and fellowship. Your comments are always meaningful and thoughtful, and I love the back and forth we get to explore here. Thank you, and happy 2017!!!

      Delete
  4. John,

    Nobody articulates better than yourself what makes films work, or conversely, not work. Our interests align, which led me to your blog, and I've never looked back. I truly enjoy reading your thoughts, and they've expanded my perspectives and allowed me to further my appreciation of works both new and nostalgic. I'll stick with you in 2017 and beyond. Adding my thoughts to SGB and James - Happy New Year!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Thank you so much for the lovely comment (and for sticking with me in 2017). I have so much enjoyed reading your perspective on Star Trek, Lost in Space, and Star Wars, to name just a few topics. Your comments and thoughts are a key part of what makes this blog a great place to be. Thank you!!!

      best,
      John

      Delete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...