Friday, June 21, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Characters: Gordon Roberts of Musings of a Sci-Fi Fanatic



Gordon Roberts' genre blog, Musings of a Sci-Fi Fanatic is one of my Internet reading addictions.  He covers the classic (like UFO, Space:1999 and Lost in Space) and the new, such as Fringe (which I'm still trying to warm to...), with great passion and insight.  He also introduced my family to a film my son loves: My Neighbor Totoro.

I am thrilled that today Gordon is providing his top-ten greatest science fiction characters list.

Here's Gordon:

" Runner Up:

Chewbacca (Star Wars; I made my own crossbow like weapon out of wood as a child.  Chewie rocked).

Private William Hudson (Aliens) and Chet Donnelly (Weird Science) (Bill Paxton nails these unforgettable characters with limited screen time - phenomenal)

The Top Ten:
 
10. Gamera (Gamera films; Let's kick things off with the other favorite big G and sci-fi mon-star)

9. Bowen Tyler (The Land The Time Forgot and The People That Time Forgot; Doug McLure is the man's man and B film action star) 

8. Wikus van de Merwe (District 9; Sharlto Copley may seem an unlikely choice maybe, but the character arc and performance is wonderful and rarely seen in a single sci-fi film)

7. Darth Vader (Star Wars trilogy; the perfect villain- the voice of James Earl Jones is heaven) 
"
6. Ellen Ripley (The Alien legacy - Sigourney Weaver was a powerhouse with a terrific arc)

5. Roy Batty (Blade Runner; "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe." Another perfect villain made perfect by Rutger Hauer)

4. Agent Smith (The Matrix trilogy; one of the best villains ever made and all thanks to Hugo Weaving)

3. Mad Max (Mad Max trilogy; Mel Gibson pretty much owns the screen in anything but the Mad Max trilogy amazes)

2. Cornelius (Planet Of The Apes films; There was something sensitive and just perfect about Roddy McDowall in this role; When I was a kid I wanted to be Cornelius)

1. Godzilla (the Godzilla films; and a character Godzilla is ... monster or not, plenty of personality there across a massive index)
 
It was fun putting it together.  Most of my choices yielded from film series giving the character a more generous character arc and depth, but there are a few exceptions.  All of them are immensely fun to watch over and over."


I would tip my hat to any top ten list that includes Doug McClure from the two Caprona films of the mid-1970s directed by the great Kevin Connor, but I absolutely love the fact that Gordon has selected Godzilla as his number one choice.  

I was watching Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971) the other day, and it struck me again how Godzilla is the James Bond of his own film series, down to the title pop tunes, rotating villains, and his familiar personal characteristics.  Awesome choice.

I am also pleased to see Cornelius make a top ten list.  He's a great character who, perhaps, is too often overshadowed by Taylor, Zaius or Dr. Zira.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...