Sunday, November 01, 2015

At Flashbak: Remco's Mini-Monster Playset (1980)


My second Halloween Flashbak this week remembered a favorite toy (that I have written of before, here on the blog: The Remco Mini-Monster Playset.

"Way back in 1980 -- when I was ten years old -- Remco manufactured a line of toys based on the classic Universal Monsters of the 1930s and 1940s. The Remco Monsters set included 3 inch high figures of Boris Karloff's Frankenstein Monster, Bela Lugosi’s Count Dracula, the Wolf Man, the Phantom of the Opera, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Mummy. 

I knew all these characters from old movie reruns on television, and was particularly enamored with Lugosi’s version of Drac.

These action figures were cool all by themselves (especially because they were the right size to menace Kenner Star Wars action figures…), but I loved their home even more: Remco’s Mini Monster Play Case, a small, fold-up playset made out of laminated cardboard.  The set was described as a “monster mansion and portable storage case for all the mini-movie monsters,” and it sold for just $7.99...."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...