Saturday, October 29, 2005

TV REVIEW: Invasion: "The Hunt"

Okay, this show is really getting good now. I don't know if it just took me a while to get into Invasion's slow-moving (but atmospheric...) vibe or what, but I'm enjoying each succeeding episode more and more.

This week, one of the "alien" (?) kids, Derek admits that his experience in the water "changed" him, and consequently goes about making a move on Dr. Mariel Underlay. The sparks fly when Sheriff Underlay finds out that this teenager is hot-to-trot for his (admittedly very fine-looking...) wife and goes after the kid. And then, there's that surprising resolution that makes it absolutely clear that the Sheriff is the leader of this "colony" of extra-terrestrials.

Meanwhile, Russell tags one of those glow-in-the-water orange fishy-things in the Everglades (shades of Surface, which two weeks ago also aired a story involving the tagging of a water beastie...). Here, Russell tracks the fish all the way onto dry land, to a no trespassing sign...to - finally - a human being!! So, holy cow, are we supposed to understand that these "alienated" humans can go back and forth in form, sometimes appearing as an orange sea-creature and sometimes as a human?! I guess this explains why Mariel is so drawn to the water (and loves taking baths so much...). Still, it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Invasion is better than the hackneyed Threshold (which aired a rerun of the pilot last night...), but Surface is coming on strong the last few weeks, so I'm glad that this Shaun Cassidy series is taking matters up a notch. I want to know more about these characters and what they're going through, and I guess that's a sign that - like Russell's sea critter - I'm "hooked."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...