Sunday, September 13, 2009

Attention All Sections Alpha: Happy Breakaway Day, Ten Years Later!


September 13, 1999 -- the day the moon blasted out of Earth's orbit, with all 311 inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha in tow. Remember that?

Today: September 13, 2009. And I'm still waiting for the next episode...

Actually, I've always considered Space: 1999 a good luck charm. My first book, Exploring Space: 1999 launched my book-writing career in 1997, and is still selling strong, a whopping 12 years later. My first novel was a licensed Space: 1999 novel, The Forsaken (2003). Even my first periodical sales -- to Rerun, Cinescape and Filmfax, respectively -- all involved, you guessed it: Space:1999. And through Space:1999, I also met the late, great Johnny Byrne, and interviewed Martin Landau, Brian Johnson, Kevin Connor and Catherine Schell, A Space:1999 convention on September 13, 1999, in Los Angeles even introduced me to my dear friend, Mateo Latosa, who became composer on my web-series, The House Between.

So pull your bell-bottoms out of mothballs and celebrate Breakaway Day! Look up at that night sky and...just pretend the moon isn't still around. Now if I could just wrangle command of an eagle.



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 PM

    A most excellent and very under appreciated show. Thanks for being one of its champions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any idea what's happening with Powys Media? Their website is barely working and hasn't been updated in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steve,

    Thank you for commenting.

    Powys Media is still working hard on several Space:1999 books, including a short story anthology, a two-part epic called Alpha/Omega and more. I've even got a new novel due in the near future. The future is, well...fantastic!

    best,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear things are still moving forward. It's been a long, long time since anything from Powys showed up in my mailbox. I'd like to think that Born for Adversity (and Miss Freedom, for that matter), for example, might be in my hands in less than a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:08 AM

    I guess will find out what been going on next year.

    http://www.myspace.com/project091399091309

    http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/1/l_4c511bcc9a8d46dd836471c0774ea06e.jpg

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...