Friday, October 14, 2005

007 Number 006

Well, it's officially official new: little-known blond Englishman Daniel Craig is replacing Pierce Brosnan as the world's most well-known secret agent, Commander James Bond. I've never seen Craig in anything, so I have no way of judging whether this is a good choice or not. I'll say this - I was hoping for the return of Pierce Brosnan because I would have liked to see him have five films to his "legacy." I think he still had at least one more great Bond film in him; maybe even his best film. As far as a replacement, I was kind of supporting Clive Owen. But Craig is who we get, and I'll be curious to see how he does in the role. Didn't see Layer Cake.

So, we get our sixth big screen James Bond.

To recap:

Sean Connery played the part from 1962 - 1970 (with one interruption in 1969), and starred in Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever, and the non-canon Never Say Never Again in 1983.

MY FAVORITE CONNERY BOND: From Russia With Love
LEAST FAVORITE CONNERY BOND: Thunderball
MOST CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED CONNERY BOND: Goldfinger
GUILTY PLEASURE CONNERY BOND: Diamonds Are Forever
BEST CONNERY BOND GIRL: Honor Blackman, as Pussy Galore
BEST CONNERY BOND VILLAIN: Gert Frobe, as Goldfinger
BEST CONNERY BOND THEME SONG: Goldfinger


George Lazenby (an Australian...) played Bond in one film, in 1969's On Her Majesty's Secret Service. He also played "JB" in a 1985 TV movie, Return of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. Don't know if that counts. But anyway - and this is strange to admit openly - On Her Majesty's Secret Service is my all-time favorite Bond movie even though I don't have much nice to say about Lazenby's performance. A primary reason? Diana Rigg. Another reason: that ending. Also, the editing in this film is nothing short of amazing. Go back and watch how this thing is put together, and you will be in awe. The ski-chase and the stock car race represent two amazing Bond set-pieces.

Roger Moore played Bond from 1971 - 1985. He appeared in Live and Let Die, The Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy and A View to a Kill.

MY FAVORITE MOORE BOND: For Your Eyes Only
LEAST FAVORITE MOORE BOND:
Moonraker
MOST CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED MOORE BOND: The Spy Who Loved Me
GUILTY PLEASURE MOORE BOND:
A View to a Kill
BEST MOORE BOND BABE: Jane Seymour as Solitaire in Live and Let Die
BEST MOORE BOND VILLAIN: Christopher Walken as Max Zorin in
A View to a Kill
BEST MOORE BOND THEME SONG: For Your Eyes Only, sung by Sheena Easton

Timothy Dalton played Bond # 4 from 1987 - 1989 and appeared in two films: The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill. Another admission: In the late 1980s, I was re-reading all the Ian Fleming original Bond novels, and I felt (and still do...) that Timothy Dalton comes closest to the book Bond in his interpretation of the part. Now, he may not be the most cinematically successful Bond, but I thought he did a good job recreating the Bond of literature. Both of his films are among my favorites.

Pierce Brosnan essayed the role of 007 from 1995 - 2002. He starred in Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough and Die Another Day.

MY FAVORITE BROSNAN BOND: Tomorrow Never Dies
MY LEAST FAVORITE BROSNAN BOND: Die Another Day
MOST CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED BROSNAN BOND: ?
BEST BROSNAN BOND BABE: Michelle Yeoh, Tomorrow Never Dies
BEST BROSNAN VILLAIN: Sean Bean, 006 in Goldeneye
BEST BROSNAN THEME SONG: Goldeneye, Tina Turner

Okay, my top ten Bond films. Disclaimer: My choices are idiosyncratic, not the result of the received wisdom of others, and I take personal responsibility for 'em. And I'd be glad to argue for the value of any of 'em over a beer.

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
2. From Russia with Love
3. Goldfinger
4. The Living Daylights
5. Licence to Kill
6. For Your Eyes Only
7. Live and Let Die
8. The Spy Who Loved Me
9. Tomorrow Never Dies
10.Dr. No

Now, I'm on the record. How about you? What are you favorite and least favorite Bonds. And how do you feel about a Blond Bond? What's the best Bond double entendre or one-liner? (I vote for "And I thought Christmas only comes once a year...")

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:19 PM

    I think Goldfinger is one of the best... However, I recall seeing a very early version, may have been overseas, where Goldfinger painted Bond.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...