Monday, April 07, 2014

Ask JKM a Question: Swamp Thing: The Series?


A reader named Mike D. writes:

"I am a huge fan of the blog. I’ve been reading for some time now and I appreciate how you dig into some “forgotten” gems. 

I have a question for you. Did you ever watch the Swamp Thing TV show from the early 90s? 

I picked up the DVDs from Amazon and I have started watching them, they are hit and miss, but the suit looks good and they dabble in some high concept sci if tropes.

 I’d be curious to read what you thought of it..."


Mike, that's a great question, and I want to thank you for posing it.  It has been several years since I thought about the Swamp Thing TV series, and it no doubt deserves a second look.  

In terms of the historical record, the USA Network began airing the series back in 1990. If memory serves, each episode was a half-hour in length (so things didn't get boring...) and the late Dick Durock starred as Doc Holland/Swamp Thing.

The USA series -- which later aired on the Sci-Fi Channel-- was set in the Louisiana swamp, and I remember that Dr. Anton Arcane (Mark Lindsay Chapman) had a major presence in the series.  


Joe Stefano worked on the series for a time, and Swamp Thing lasted for three years and seventy-two episodes.    The final episode was titled, appropriately, "That's a Wrap."

I just happen to have a few episodes of the series on DVD on my office book-shelf -- which my son terms "the stash" -- so I will get cracking, and this Thursday, I'll review an episode or two, starting with the premiere segment "The Emerald Heart."

Thanks for remembering a series I haven't thought about in probably a decade!


Don't forget to ask me your questions at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. First season wasn't bad, not great, but not bad. Biggest problem was that they showed the episodes out of order. Then of course we get the whole "Let's change it all up for season 2" bit and I bailed out.

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...