Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Collectible of the Week: Mad Scientist Dissect-an-Alien Kit (Mattel; 1986)


This Mattel toy from 1986 was my son Joel's toy "pick" from The Mad Monster Party in Uptown Charlotte last weekend.  

His eyes fell-upon this vintage toy, and he knew he had to have it.  

And what's more, he knew his Dad would purchase it for him...

This strange 1980s-era toy encourages the intrepid young scientist to "yank out alien organs dripping in glowing ALIEN BLOOD!"  

The Mad Scientist Dissect-An-Alien Kit box also relates that inside the alien body there are "12 body organs" and "only one way they'll fit together."  In other words, "it's the slimiest puzzle on Earth."

The bug-eyed scientist featured on the box also opines "Yeech! What an oozy operation! Can you make all the organs fit inside the alien?" 

You know, it's actually much harder than it looks...

The Mad Scientist Dissect-an-Alien Kit includes: "alien, 12 alien organs, Glow-in-the-dark Alien Blood compound, plastic scalpel, Operating Mat, Alien body bag, and a Journal of Mad Experiments with Instructions."

The interesting thing about the Operating Mat is that the colorful background names all twelve of the alien's unusual organs.  

You've got the "veinausea," "heartipus," "liverot," "spleenius," "mad bladder," "stumuckus," "blooblob," "fleshonius," "branium," "gutball" and "lungross." 

The toy also comes replete with a short comic-book describing the scientist's discovery of the alien creature.

Joel and I have played with the toy a couple of times already (after washing it off, because, in my wife's words, it was "mega-sticky") and the best part, after inserting all the organs, is bandaging up the poor old alien with a giant plastic band-aid.  It's ouchless.

Mattel, the makers of the Mad Scientist Dissect-an-Alien Kit also released (and sold separately) some Alien Blood Monster Kits ("Squeeze Em! Alien blood oozes from their eyes, mouth or nose!")

Now where am I can going to find those for Joel?!



5 comments:

  1. Good grief. This is an affront to Aliens everywhere. What about their rights?!

    Where's a good Alien mandate/ healthcare package when you need one!

    Seriously, great kit and it seemed like that green and red slime was available with just about every toy for a period of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my friend!

    I don't see what the problem is. Joel and I got approval from a death panel before beginning the dissection. :)

    Seriously, you're right -- that green and red slime was everywhere in the late 1980s and early 1990s. On our kit, the slime was hardened (and gross) so we substituted some Dr. Dreadful goo.

    Great (and funny...) comment!

    best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive been trying to find one of these for many years.. ive wanted it back ever since my Christian-Fanatic Grandmother threw mine away when i was a kid... it looks like ill never find it on ebay :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:41 AM

    Wow! This was my absolute favorite toy as a kid...I wish I could find it and give it to my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got one-mint in sealed box-never opened,

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...