Wednesday, July 30, 2008

X Marked The Blog

Wow!

It's been a roller-coaster here for the last thirty-six hours as thousands (and I mean thousands...) of readers "found" my review of X-Files: I Want to Believe and linked to it across the Internet in forums, on blogs and so forth. At one point late yesterday afternoon, I feared this site (particularly comments section) was going to crash from all the activity. Watching my statistics counter in real time was unreal: clusters of readers were all hitting at once. Amazing!

From the bottom of my heart, I'd like to thank everyone who commented on my review; and also the dozens of X-Philes who private e-mailed me to share their thoughts on the review. Judging from how polite, decent, thoughtful and organized this bunch is, I'd wager The X-Files has a lot of life left in it.

In fact, there was only one comment I had to reject in the whole vast slew -- and it came from a hater of the film (and the franchise) who used unnecessary and inappropriate language. Even the X-Files fan who didn't like the movie (which is his or her right, naturally...) spoke eloquently and respectfully here.

Regarding the movie, I stand behind my review fully, and will add this additional thought: once international box office figures are tallied, DVD purchases and rentals are factored in, and a cable TV sale is made...there's little doubt this film will have been judged a financial success. History shows us that even when an franchise entry doesn't become an "instant hit," that doesn't mean the franchise is over. Back in 1997, things looked pretty grim for a hero named Batman, didn't they? Look where that franchise is today.


In terms of this blog, I'm back to work today, and I hope that some of the thousands of visitors who came here for the purpose of reading the X-Files review will stick around, explore the archives. and become regular readers. X-Philes might want to start with my retrospective of the classic episode "Home."

Again, my appreciation.

John K. Muir


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:36 PM

    Now, if you can do an equally great review of the REAL misunderstood movie of the summer, that being "Speed Racer" Then you should flooded by even more comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:02 PM

    What can I say--philes are loyal, and when we hear other critics reviewing our movie with their uninformed and closed-minded opinions, we can be relentless in defending our favorite agents. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your insightful review of the X Files movie. It's a shame others just didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an amazing review! Thank you for taking the time to write it...

    I have been an "XPhile" since the very first episode and I happened to appreciate this movie! I related to your review completely. I was expecting a little more..BANG. A few aliens. But..that said..I realized what they were going for (and with a budget of 30 mil) totally loved it just the same!
    Here's hoping for XF3!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How goes it? I spotted you over at David Ds blog.
    I'm a film maker, blogger, and web site operator. I'm quite impassioned at the moment about how the new X Files movie is coming under much undeserved flack. And it has me worried about this may well be the end of any X Files movie series.
    So with that in mind, I've set up a blog and a petition. I would be grateful if you could stop by it and bloglist me:-) I will bloglist you. Spread the word.

    http://iwanttobelievexf3.blogspot.com

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, by the way, I've added you review to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:50 PM

    I wanted to say that I really appreciated your insightful and thoughtful review of new XF movie. I felt "finally," someone was able to put my thoughts down in some coherent form and have it make sense.

    Hoping to XF3!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:50 PM

    X files rocks !!!!! i love the movie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:23 AM

    John,

    I am also a "first timer" visiting your blog and review through a link from somewhere else. I saw the film tonight and I loved it. I was not even a great fan of the original show, had seen some episodes, but I was nowhere near an expert, or even greatly knowledgeable on the background. What I did recognize were these two great characters. When I started reading comments by Carter and Spotnitz saying this movie was about Mulder & Scully more than anything else, I had a feeling I'd like it. And you articulated my thoughts eloquently (and as many others have recognized). Particularly insightful is your comment that many of the so-called "fans" actually "wanted to believe" that this movie would be something much different.

    It's a great film, layered and resonant, about deep issues in humanity and how we approach them. And it even has a great closing credit sequence!!

    Thank you for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:30 AM

    Hallelujah! Like others have said here, I couldn't have written my own thoughts about the movie better than you did. Thanks for writing this, and for not spoiling the scene after the credit (which I have to go back a second time for)!

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...