Saturday, June 22, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Characters: Duanne Walton



Reader Duanne Walton sends in his list of ten greatest science fiction film characters.  He writes:

"Okay. After much deliberation, here are my choices:


1. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader (Star Wars saga)

2. Godzilla (Godzilla series)

3. R2-D2 (Star Wars saga)

4. Superman (Superman series)

5. E.T. (E.T. the Extra Terrestrial)

6. Spock (Star Trek series)

7. Klaatu (The Day the Earth Stood Still)

8. Colonel Taylor (Planet of the Apes)

9. Robby the Robot (Forbidden Planet)

10. The T-800 (The Terminator series)"

I love Duanne's list because he acknowledges the importance of Anakin Skywalker in the Darth Vader equation. 

I fully realize that the prequels aren't widely popular with my generation (though my son, who is six, loves them...), but one of the joys of marathon watching all six Star Wars film in one sitting is tracking the journey of Anakin, from childhood to adulthood, from fall to redemption.    The Star Wars saga is the saga of Anakin Skywalker, so it make sense that he should be listed as one of the genre's enduring characters, despite the fact he was played by a variety of actors, and seen at different ages (and in different guises).

Also, this is the first time that Robby the Robot has made a top ten list!   He also deserves his slot, I would say, considering how many people, of various generations associate the word "robby" with the word "robot."

1 comment:

  1. Word up, Duanne, for acknowledging the full spectrum of Anakin Skywalker, prequels and all. I chose not to include anything Star Wars in this list, or the previous one, as I don’t view it as genuine science fiction, but that’s just me. Props all the same

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...