Monday, September 25, 2023

Memory Bank: The Star Trek Compendium by Allan Asherman



It was Christmas, 1981, I believe, when I visited my aunt Patty and uncle Bob at their house in Summit, New Jersey.  

I was 11-years old, and absolutely obsessed with Star Trek

In part, that obsession had been super-charged by the premiere of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979), which I found to be a challenging and beautiful cinematic experience.  

Basically, I lived and breathed Star Trek, and was desperate to see all the episodes of the original series again, because our local station, WPIX, always seemed to air the same handful of episodes ("That Which Survives" seemed to be on the air every other week, for some reason.)

Anyway, Patty and Bob presented me with a Christmas present, and one which absolutely inspired me: Allan Asherman's Star Trek: Compendium (Wallaby/Pocket Books), which was described on its cover as "the most thoroughly researched and complete Star Trek reference work ever published."

First, I have to say, I loved the look of the book cover. 

This was a crucial part of the experience. 

It was very futuristic, colored in metallic blue and silver (much like a poster of the Enterprise that hangs in my home office to this day). The Star Trek logo was that of The Motion Picture vintage, in golden or yellow lettering. 

Future editions of the book lost the metallic sheen and the futuristic feel, I felt, though added photos from the TV series in its place. The lettering also changed back to the sixties TV show logo style.

The Star Trek Compendium -- which has indeed been reprinted and updated four times since the early eighties -- featured fascinating information on (according to the back cover): "photography and production," "technical matters," "series concept and continuity," "symbolism and trivia," "episode titles, dates of production and discussion of plots," and "career and biographical information of actors and production personnel."

In short, it was a treasure trove of information about my then-favorite TV series (and favorite new movie, too). The Compendium lived up to its description on the back cover as a "gold mine" of information about Star Trek.

I read, re-read and then read again The Star Trek Compendium, and basically took it with me wherever I went. I read it in the car on shopping trips.  I read it before bedtime. I read it with breakfast, the next day. 

Sadly, the book came apart from the heavy usage, by about 1984. I continued to read it, even with pages falling out. I finally got a new copy at a used book store in Montclair sometime later, but it was one of the later editions, and didn't have the same feel/look of that first edition.

Today, decades later, I still remember unwrapping this book at the holiday season, and thrill of leafing through the pages of the Star Trek Compendium for the first time.  

For me, it was a magical time, and a magical book too. 

I am certain that this is among the handful of books that inspired me to become a writer.

I have just learned that author Allan Asherman passed away on 9/22, and I want to offer my deepest condolences to his family. 

But I also want to offer the author my sincerest thanks for a book that was my constant compendium as I grew up.  

You made a difference, Mr. Asherman, in this young Trekker's life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the book that I had two printings/editions of over the years, but never got them back after lending them. One hot book.

    The Star Trek Compendium is a terrific book, indeed. While there are a few errors, since dispelled as being typical and all too common myths, it is generally very accurate. (The Marc Cushman ST books are accurate due to the fact that he accessed the Star Trek files at UCLA. He also licensed the show's actual television ratings from Neilsen. As it turns out, Star Trek was not a low-rated series.)

    As you note, the book's cover did change. The original series logo became the norm... as a matter of fact, that typeface is now the Star Trek-brand umbrella logo. (By the way, visual effects wizard Richard Edlund claimed in an interview that it was he who designed that typeface. He was working for Joseph Westheimer at the time.)

    Sorry to hear about Mr Asherman's passing.

    After my loss(es), I eventually found the original STC in a comic book store near me here in Toronto.

    Thanks for the interesting personal story, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP Allan Asherman

    ReplyDelete

40 Years Ago: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

I still vividly recall the summer of 1984, and the reviews and chatter about  Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom.  In particular, there wa...