Thursday, February 05, 2015

At Flashbak: Alfred E. Neuman Goes to the Movies: A Gallery of 1970s Blockbusters, as seen in MAD Magazine.


My new article at Flashbak remembers the great age of MAD Magazine's 1970s movie parodies and covers.



"In the seventies, all the options we now enjoy in terms of home entertainment options (DVDs, blu-rays, streaming) simply did not exist.  Instead, the 1970s represents the first great decade of the Hollywood movie blockbuster: popular movies that everyone in the culture saw, and everyone talked about.

The experience of those movies wasn’t complete, however until MAD Magazine rendered a wicked parody of it, and featured the film on its cover.

MAD originally hit the news-stand in 1952, but it was in the 1970s that readership hit its peak, owing in part, no doubt, to Alfred E. Neuman’s comical interface with all the movie legends and icons of that age.

Here’s a gallery of some of the best MAD Magazine 1970s covers.  My favorite of the bunch is the Star Wars (1977) cover, with Darth Alfred, featured at the top of this piece..."

1 comment:

  1. I had the King Kong issue, much to my Mom's disdain.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...