Creator of the award-winning web series, Abnormal Fixation. One of the horror genre's "most widely read critics" (Rue Morgue # 68), "an accomplished film journalist" (Comic Buyer's Guide #1535), and the award-winning author of Horror Films of the 1980s (2007) and Horror Films of the 1970s (2002), John Kenneth Muir, presents his blog on film, television and nostalgia, named one of the Top 100 Film Studies Blog on the Net.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Pop Art: The Empire Strikes Back Pop-Up Book
Labels:
pop art,
The Empire Strikes Back
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
60 Years Ago: Star Trek:"The Naked Time" (September 29, 1966)
Stardate 1704.2: The U.S.S. Enterprise (NCC-1701) orbits distant Psi 2000, an ancient world on the verge of breaking up. The crew's mi...
-
Director Ridley Scott has already given the science fiction cinema two of its greatest and most cherished films: Alien (1979) and Blade...
-
"Other Worlds lie outside our seeing; beyond the beyond; on the edge of within. The Great Pyramids: erected by the Ancient Ones as a ba...

It just struck me that the cover of this book is a strange image to advertise an action packed sequel to Star Wars. Assuming that your only exposure to Star Wars was the first film, this image is a huge downer! Instead of some interstellar dogfight or light saber duel, what you are presented with is Luke and Artoo stuck in a swamp with their half submerged X-Wing fighter looking pretty dejected.
ReplyDeleteI have this book and it's very nice but if I were art directing, I think I would have chosen a more dynamic cover image!
I remember being so so young and wanting this. I think it was three pounds (or five) quite expensive in 1980, and saving up all my coins. I handed them over to a shop in Barkingside, London. Vividly remember the excitement. Thanks for this!
ReplyDeleteI had (and remember loving) this book, particularly for its pop-up features for the swamp scenes and at the end.
ReplyDelete