Saturday, August 21, 2010

Coming Soon: The De Palma Thrillers!

Just a quick heads-up on this upcoming event, but I'm participating in a series of broadcasts created by Movie Geeks United! to pay tribute to director Brian De Palma (and his thrillers...) on the occasion of the director's 70th birthday.

De Palma a La Mod reports the schedule:

Brian De Palma will turn 70 on September 11th, and Movie Geeks United! is preparing a fantastic-looking slate of shows that week leading up to the occasion, with a rich line-up of special guests. The guests are still being added, but here is what they have so far:

The De Palma Thriller: SISTERS - Monday, September 6 at 10pm EST
featuring special guests author/critic John Kenneth Muir and producer Edward R. Pressman.

The De Palma Thriller: CARRIE - Tuesday, September 7 at 10pm EST
featuring special guests author/critic John Kenneth Muir, actress Nancy Allen, and additional insights from critic Armond White.

The De Palma Thriller: DRESSED TO KILL - Wednesday, September 8 at 10pm EST
featuring special guests author/critic John Kenneth Muir, actress Nancy Allen, actor Keith Gordon, and producer George Litto.

The De Palma Thriller: BLOW OUT - Thursday, September 9 at 10pm EST
featuring special guests author/critic John Kenneth Muir, actress Nancy Allen, and producer George Litto, with additional insights from cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond.

The De Palma Thriller: RAISING CAIN - Friday, September 10 at 10pm EST
featuring special guests author/critic John Kenneth Muir and editor Paul Hirsch.


More details about when and where the show is airing will follow...so stay tuned!

11 comments:

  1. I'm not going to miss this!!! Sounds positively wonderful. And you're participating, JKM? Even better. Thanks for letting your readers know, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Le0pard13:

    Thanks for the comment, my friend.

    I recorded several segments (on Sisters, Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out and Raising Cain) a couple of weeks back, and had a blast doing the interview session.

    I think the series is going to be really amazing. My interviewer, Jamey, was knowledgeable, super-prepared and had great, insightful questions. He was just... incredible.

    I'll let you know more as I do!

    best,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:36 PM

    these are fantastic movies! I haven't watched Blow Out in years!
    Dreaded Dreams
    Petunia Scareum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, how about The Fury? Do you think it warrants being included? I wonder why they left it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi folks,

    Trick or Treat Pete: We had a great conversation on Blow Out, which -- according to critical consensus anyway, may be De Palma's best.

    Clayton: You know, we DID discuss The Fury, actually. So I know it was on Jamey's mind, and it was his intent to include it. It may just be he was able to get more guests on the other films. I don't think it was meant to be a slight in any way; we both talked very positively about the film...

    best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dumb question, but will these be shown online? At that site? Watched "Blow Out" just a couple nights ago... out of nowhere flipping around...such a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Indianhoop, not a dumb question at all. These are audio broadcasts, all of which will be available online. I'll post site info (linkage...) as we get closer to the date of premiere.

    And I agree with you about "Blow Out." Fantastic movie!

    thanks for commenting,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound awesome. Can't wait to check 'em out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SteveW12:37 PM

    Very cool John--I'll definitely listen!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi J.D. and SteveW: I'll provide more info as soon as I have it, so you can check out the broadcasts. I'm very excited about them...should be a great series...

    best,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Series does sound awesome. I also wanted to make special mention of Sisters--incredible that it was out of print and so hard to get for so long. I had the distinct pleasure of seeing a screening of it here in NYC with Margot Kidder as the special guest for a Q&A afterwards--she was gracious and hilarious about the making of it, apparently she and de Palma were shacking up together at the time in a beach house near Malibu, just hoping the movie would pay for itself so they could make more movies.. and how they did.. just not together!

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...