Friday, April 14, 2006

Credit Where Credit is Due: Congrats to Battlestar

All right sci-fi fans, I just wanted to make note here on the blog that the re-imagined Ron Moore version of Battlestar Galactica (airing on the Sci-Fi Channel) recently won a prestigious Peabody Award. Longtime readers here know that the series isn't my favorite production by any stretch, but it's only fair to make notice of such an accomplishment. Science fiction is often left behind when it comes to awards, and it's great for the genre that Galactica has been honored. Again, this program isn't my cup of tea, but it would be foolish to ignore the fact that the show has achieved such an honor.

Here's what Horace Newcomb, Director of the Peabody Awards had to say about Galactica (reported at
TV Fodder):

"It treats contemporary issues from an angle that really make you think about those issues…issues of race, gender, all those things are dealt with in that context. In a way it's almost a counterpart to 'South Park' (which also won an award) which just throws everything up there, while 'Battlestar' considers them in a dramatic narrative."


To reiterate my stance on Galactica: It's well-written and I can enjoy an episode any time in much the same way I enjoy the tense 24. However, my problem begins and ends with the fact that it's called Battlestar Galactica. The original series has been used as a "brand name" by Ron Moore to do something totally new, something unfaithful, something he wanted to do. That's fine, and some people obviously like what he's done very much. But it shouldn't be called Battlestar Galactica.

Still, congratulations to Moore and everybody on the show for the Peabody.

Just - please - don't touch Space:1999. Victor Bergman will be a lesbian female, Koenig will be an alcoholic, the Eagles will have warp drive, and the stun guns will fire bullets instead of lasers. That, I can live without...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:27 PM

    And congratulations to Trey Parker and Matt Stone for their Peabody! They are the two voices of reason in Hollywood there to deflate the town's sense of self-importance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, I guess. This post has picked up some attention in the blogosphere, - in Lee Goldberg's blog and at TVSquad.com.

    Whether they agree with you or not, it's all good publicity!

    8^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Toby - thanks for the congrats. It's funny, the posts you think will garner attention you never do; and then ones like this just take off. Odd. Now let the personal attacks begin (actually, they already have - there's one blog out there attacking me for writing a book about Kevin Smith, which I guess proves that I don't have the right to comment on BSG or something...)

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...