Sunday, August 07, 2016

At Flashbak: Remco Energized Superheroes (1978)


This week at Flashbak, I also remembered Remco’s Energized Super Hero action figures of the 1970s.





“Here’s another great toy from my childhood in the disco decade that I have never forgotten. Beginning in 1978, Remco released a number of foot-high superhero figures that were, in a word, “energized.”

I only had Spider-Man, but Remco released Batman, Superman, and the Incredible Hulk in this format as well, splitting their line between Marvel and DC.

This version of Spidey that I remember stood a whopping twelve-inches high, and though he lacked meaningful  articulation,  he came equipped with a variety of gadgets, such as a "Spider Sense Activator," a kind of movie viewer, and a "Spider Light."  Spider-man also came with a web so you could snare the bad guys.  

Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man couldn't actually swing from a web, but he could at least hang from a web, which was just as neat.  You could activate the web gadget and watch Spider-Man climb by activating a switch on his belt.

The ads described Peter Parker’s alter-ego as being energized “to climb,” “to pull,” “to lift,” “to throw light” and to “power his Spidercopter.” 

As I recall, Spider-Man seemed to the fulcrum of publicity and toys, because Remco also sold the aforementioned Spider-Copter, a Spider-Man HQ, and even a figure of his “worst enemy,” the Energized Green Goblin…”

Please continue reading at Flashbak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...