Sunday, June 19, 2016

Tribute: Anton Yelchin (1989-2016)


Terrible news today.  In fact, I have resisted printing it in the hopes that the story would be retracted by the press and identified as a hoax.

Apparently that's not happening.  

Anton Yelchin (1989-2016) -- just 27 years old -- was killed today in a freak car accident.

Mr. Yelchin was so young, but yet also incredibly accomplished. In fact, in a few short years he racked up a number of unforgettable genre credits.

First and foremost, of course, he played Pavel Chekov in three Star Trek films, including Star Trek (2009), Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013), and the upcoming Star Trek: Beyond (2016).

Yelchin also played young Kyle Reese in Terminator: Salvation (2009), and had a number of impressive horror movie credits too, including Fright Night (2011), Odd Thomas (2013) and Green Room (2015).


Usually, when I write tributes such as this one, I console myself with the knowledge that we have lost someone who lived well into old age.  I would miss them, of course, yet I know they lived long, and well.  

Today, it is absolutely devastating to lose this talented young actor; this man who projected kindness and gentleness, and good humor in every role he made his own. 

I offer my sincerest condolences to his family and friends at this time of great sadness.


1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable how he was killed Saturday night in his own driveway by his own car. Too horrible. So talented, so sad, so young... R.I.P. Anton Yelchin.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete

A Reflection on My Father, Ken Muir (1943 - 2024)

If you are a regular reader of the blog, you know that in February and March I shared pages here from "The White Book," my father&...