Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Tarzan Week: Ranking the MGM Tarzan Movies - Best to Worst



I enjoy and deeply admire all the Weismuller/O’Sullivan Tarzan pictures from MGM, and this is how I would rank them, best to worst. 

I would say that at least two of them (1932 and 1934) editions are cinematic classics.  Tarzan and His Mate is an undisputed work of art (erotic and pointed) and only one of the films, Tarzan's Secret Treasure, is truly underwhelming.


MGM Tarzan: Best to Worst

1. Tarzan and His Mate (1934)

2. Tarzan the Ape Man (1932)

3. Tarzan’s New York Adventure (1942)

4. Tarzan Escapes (1936)

5. Tarzan Finds a Son! (1939)

6 Tarzan’s Secret Treasure (1941)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, "Tarzan and his Mate" is the top of the heap for me. I actually thought "Tarzan Escapes" was the weakest of the films. It seemed to have the most reuse of previous footage and just kind of felt limp. But really "Son" and "Treasure" are not that much better. Weissmuller was in the very amusing "Tarzan and the Leopard Woman" which is so silly that it is worth checking out. Perfect for a Tarzan themed riffing session. But it is also interesting in that it turns Tarzan into a domesticated hero protecting the white man from the natives - talk about turning the concept on its head. I did a review for the film on my blog if you want to find out more.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...