Saturday, July 20, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Endings: Duanne Walton


Duanne Walton starts off our reader's top ten this beautiful Saturday morning with his great list.

Take it away Duanne:

“I always enjoy reading top ten lists, but not so much making them. I always end up second guessing myself once I'm done. Case in point: I now think I should've made Flash Gordon my number 10 choice instead of the T-800 in last month's top ten movie characters list.

But anyway, here's my top ten movie ending list, subject to change at any given moment:

10. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. One final voyage into the final frontier for our old friends.

9. The Stepford Wives (1975). The blank eyes stare out at us from the supermarket and we know Joanna is gone.

8. The Thing (1951). “Keep watching the skies!”

7. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1957). Whit Bissel alerts the authorities to the pod people as Kevin McCarthy slumps against the wall looking completely drained. But is it too late? We're left to wonder.

6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). This time, there's no wondering: it is too late.

5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The alternate ending, which is much more satisfying than the theatrical one.

4. Return of the Jedi. Anakin Skywalker is restored, and so is peace and justice in the galaxy.

3. The Incredible Shrinking Man. “To God, there is no zero. I still exist.”

2. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). “Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you.”

1. Planet of the Apes (1968). We obliterated ourselves, Klaatu.

Official runners up:

Charly. His mental regression is horrifying and heartbreaking. But the freeze frame on his smiling face begs the question: is he actually better for it?

The Iron Giant. "Su-per-man."

Cloverfield. "I had a good day." Always cherish your good days. Because you never know when that statue's head will come crashing down in the middle of the street.

That should do it. Thanks.”

Duanne: I love that your list really considers the full-breadth and history of science fiction film history, with shout-outs to films as diverse as The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Stepford Wives and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.  A fantastic selection of unforgettable endings.   I also really like the yin-and-yang of your number one and two choices, as you humorously connect them.



1 comment:

  1. Great list, and I loved the way you segued from The Day the Earth Stood Still to Planet of the Apes.
    After I submitted my own list, I remembered I should have included The Incredible Shrinking Man.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...