Monday, February 23, 2015

At Flashbak: Snow Bound: A Survey of Ice Planets at the Movies and on TV


I wrote my latest article at Flashbak last week, while we were in the throes of snow and ice, snow-days and delayed openings.




"Much of North America, particularly in the northeast, is currently digging out from one of the worst winter storms since the great blizzard of 1978. 

Schools are closed down, some roads are impassable, and the grocery store shelves are bare. 

I write this article, in fact, on a snow day here in Charlotte, N.C, as the ice slowly starts to melt outside my home office window.

I’ve decided to take this unexpected holiday from work to recall some of the great frozen worlds from sci-fi TV and movie history.

This isn’t a complete list, of course, though it hits the hot -- or cold? -- spots.

And remember, the subject is frozen or snow planets, not merely snow environments on diverse planets (which means that fan favorites like The X-Files [“Ice”] and Game of Thrones) don’t exactly fit the bill."



1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing regarding this subject John. I am currently residing in the "Ultima Thule" region known as southern New England.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...