Wednesday, August 20, 2014

At Flashbak: The 5 Niftiest Gadgets of 1970s Sci-Fi TV (but not Trek or Who...)






"In the decade after Star Trek left the air, science fiction television programming branched off in new directions, featuring visions of dystopia like The Starlost (1973) and Gerry Anderson’s supreme space odyssey, Space:1999 (1975 – 1977). 

Later in the decade, following the success of George Lucass Star Wars (1977), the genre saw another paradigm shift, and featured stories of swashbuckling fantasy-adventure such as Glen Larson’s Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979) and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979-1981).

In the vast majority of these programs, producers and writers attempted to examine what the future might look like from a technological perspective. The tricorders, communicators and phasers of 1960s Star Trek were left behind for a wave of new high-tech gadgetry.

Below are five of the coolest examples of futuristic tech from 1970s sci-fi TV."

2 comments:

  1. John brilliant choices of '70s gadgets. Like you, Space:1999's Commlock is my favorite. It definitely was the original iphone.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the Commlock when I was a kid; although, an older friend of mine at my high school told me that they should/would have something called "LCD" screens -- which were already being worked on. My problem was the B&W. (The television I was watching Space: 1999 on was colour.)

    My own favourite? Off the top of my head I would pick the wrist/arm controllers from Ark II. Five minutes from now I would come up with a different answer....

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...