Monday, June 22, 2015

Ask JKM a Question: Battle Royale (2000)?



A regular reader named Frank writes:

"Have you ever reviewed Battle Royale (2000)?  

If you haven't, will you do so?  

I'd love to read your thoughts on the film, especially because of the popularity of The Hunger Games."



That's a great question, Frank.  

I believe I've only written about Battle Royale briefly, for a Flashbak article last year about dystopian films and savage games.  

I have seen the film twice, and feel, as you indicate, that it has inspired many other works of art.  

By the same token, films about violent dystopian games also pre-date Battle Royale by quite a bit. Rollerball (1975) and Death Race 2000 (1975) both came out decades ahead of it, for example. 

That fact noted, I indeed believe that The Hunger Games franchise owes a great deal to Battle Royale, especially in its last act, wherein survivors must team up, even though it is against the rules, and only victor can "win" the game.  


Both films are about taking the chance to ally with a friend, even though the Establishment discourages and forbids such alliances as an "end" strategy.  Thus both films are about robbing people of their humanity and sense of civilization, so that they think of themselves first and only.

But I have never reviewed the film before, so I will do so here on Thursday, at 6:00 am.

Thanks for the question, and stay tuned!

Don't forget to ask me your questions at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com.

1 comment:

  1. Great news. Saw the film a couple years back and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...