Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Doctor Who Week: Doctor Who "Tardis" (Dekker Toys)




This is the Dekker Toys “Tardis” playhouse from 1982, an officially licensed product from the BBC.  This TARDIS stands four feet high, but is not alas, bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. 





As you can detect from the images of the Tardis playhouse above, it was produced and marketed in the era of the fifth Doctor, played by Peter Davison.   The Tardis playhouse is actually something of a tent, one held up by narrow PVC poles at the corners. And inside there is even a control room and view screen.  It's not very "show accurate."

When I was a kid, I would have traveled to the ends of the Earth (or Zeti Reticuli, in Whovian terms…) to get my hands on a TARDIS playhouse like this one.  I understand that a full-sized, inflatable TARDIS was also recently released for further Time Lord adventures...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:20 AM

    That console layout bears a striking similarity to the Apollo lunar landers... Recycled perhaps?

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...