Sunday, October 27, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Horror Films circa 1960 - 2000: William Johnson of The Paxton Configuration


My friend and fellow blogger (At The Paxton Configuration), William Johnson, contributes our next Sunday list (preceding results later this afternoon). 
Vis-à-vis horror films circa 1960 – 2000, Will writes:
“Honorable Mention: Though I do consider Alien a horror film, I still like to consider it primarily a hybrid (at the most) and sci-fi (at the least) so it is not included here. I also haven't seen The Exorcist!!!! So I can't include it (don't hurt me).

When I think of horror, I think of slashers/monsters/social commentary films using excessive and unbelievable beings of evil (or similar). I must say, though, that horror is not a genre I am well versed in:
01).Halloween (1978)

The rest are in any order:
02) Hellraiser (1986)
03) Dawn of the Dead (1978)
04) Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1996)
05) Scream (1996)
06) Army of Darkness (1992)
07) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
08)Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1993)
09) Near Dark (1987)
10) Tales from the Hood (1995)
11) Bordello of Blood (I can't help it ... I love it)

Will, I think you would love The Exorcist (1973), but don't worry...I won't hurt you for not having seen it. But if you still haven’t seen it by next Halloween, watch out…  :)
I especially love that your list includes Wes Craven's New Nightmare, a brilliant re-imagination of the Elm Street mythos, with a Pirandello-esque, 1990s "meta" twist.  My hat is also off to you for your inclusion of Tales from the Hood (1995), one of my all-time favorite horror movie anthologies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...