Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Endings: Jason Shepherd


Reader Jason Shepherd contributes our first list of Wednesday, on the subject of the Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Endings:

He writes:

"1) Star Wars -  Like everyone, I used to be enthralled by Star Wars' revolutionary special effects, but time has brought me to an appreciation of the movie's mastery of cinematic technique. The Battle of Yavin and the medal ceremony at the end of Star Warare a perfect marriage of editing and music.  The action of the battle sequences, with faster and faster cuts and musical tempo, ramp up the suspense to the breaking point.  Finally, at the end, the medal ceremony brings the whole movie to a stately, dignified ending that makes you want to stand up and cheer.
 
2) Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - Okay, the original Planet of the Apes has the big shock ending, but Conquest affects me the most.  I've seen the restored original ending, but I still prefer the theatrical version, simply because of the final line.  I defy you not to feel chills when you hear Roddy McDowell declare: "Tonight, we have seen the birth ... of the Planet of the Apes!"
 
3) Army of Darkness - If the sight of Bruce Campbell fighting a witch through the aisles of a retail store doesn't warm your heart, then you are no friend of mine.  No one can utter lines like "Hail to the king, baby!" like Bruce.
 
4) John Carter - After all the action and battles and spectacle, what really affected me about John Carter was the story of a man who was dead inside finding a reason to live again.  That final set of shots, where Taylor Kitsch settles into his coffin and joyously chants the words (echoed by his love, Lynn Collins) that will take him back to Barsoom, back home... it gives me goosebumps.
 
5) Star Trek IV - I saw Star Trek IV on the day it opened way back in 1986.  When they showed the new Enterprise, the entire audience (including my sister, who is NOT a Star Trek fan) erupted into cheers.  It puts the crew back where they belong, back on the edge of the Final Frontier.
 
6) 2010 - The final scenes, where the Jovian moon Europa is transformed into a habitable world, and the final shot of an alien swamp with a Monolith standing guard accompanied by the bars of "Thus Spake Zarathustra"... again, the story begins anew.
 
7) Escape from New York - I first discovered this movie as I was a teenager.  Watching Snake destroy the much-sought-after tape, essentially giving a middle finger to the establishment... when you're a rebellious kid, that kind of thing sings to you.
 
8) The Thing - Seeing Kurt Russell and Keith David staring each other down with flamethrowers, each waiting to see if the other is The Thing... this is how you keep up the suspense all the way to the end.
 
9) Jurassic Park - That shot of the T-Rex roaring in triumph as the "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" banner falls before the camera... I know it's corny and manipulative, but it still brings a grin to my face and tears to my eyes.
 
10) Superman: The Movie - Christopher Reeve will always be the definitive Superman to me.  The way he delivers his final line of the movie ("Don't thank me, we're all part of the same team.") encapsulates what I love about that character: he has tremendous powers, but he doesn't see himself as any better than anyone else.  It makes my heart soar.... just like Superman.

Jason: So many great and iconic valedictory images and sequences in your excellent list.  I have always loved that moment in Jurassic Park with the T-Rex and the "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" banner.  If I had to pick one image from that film, it would be that one.  I also share your love and appreciation for the Star Wars denouement.  It may be simple or even predictable, but is awe and joy-inspiring nonetheless.

Similarly, I remember the rush of joy at the end of Star Trek IV, as the Enterprise's saucer section appears behind (and above) the Excelsior.  My friends, we have come home.  A perfect movie moment, in my opinion.

 Great job!

1 comment:

  1. As usual, I omitted Star Wars from my list because I always associated it with traditional fantasy more than science fiction (John, how about a Top 10 in the fantasy genre?), but I'm glad to see it getting some love all the same.

    However, seeing as that it made my Top 10 Sci-Fi films, I'm not sure why I didn't include the ending to Jurassic Park as well. Maybe I was thinking of the T-Rex moment as more of the "climax" rather than the closing scene. Still, it's a great pick for the list.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...