Friday, June 21, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Characters: Eric Kennedy


Reader Eric Kennedy shares with us his list of top ten greatest science fiction characters.

He writes:

1. Luke Skywalker.  I am more a fan of Han Solo and the cool factor associated with Boba Fett, but Luke Skywalker was what made Star Wars when I was a kid.  As I got older, I appreciated the genius of Alec Guinness and the complexity of Darth Vader, but Luke Skywalker was Star Wars before it was over analyzed.

2.Snake Plissken.  John Carpenter took a Disney actor and made him into the quintessential anti hero.  

3. Roy Batty.  Such a great example of humanity, both bad and good.

4. Aragorn.  The big budget digital age epics brought a hero that goes largely unnoticed.

5. Dutch.  Predator was one of the biggest sci-fi action movies of 80s and starred the biggest star at the time.   A true action hero in a classic sci -fi movie.

6. Khan.  Underrated.  Sheldon Cooper's favorite villain will always be one of mine.  His maniacal thirst for vengeance is hard to equal.

7.Tony Stark/ Iron Man.  This is a B level comic hero that became the driving force of the current action/sci-fi movies, Robert Downey jr found the role of a lifetime, playing himself as a genius billionaire.

8. Ellen Ripley.  What more can be said that has not been echoed on many of the lists, but I prefer my Ripley yelling at Hudson if I get to choose.

9. Johnathon E. Rollerball was one of my favorite 70s sci-fi movies and I liked the individual vs the state/business aspect of a future society better then in the other "social commentary" films of the 70s.  

10. Max Rockatansky.  Mad Max may have put him on the map, but The Road Warrior made Mel Gibson a star.  And Max was more of an every-man then a hero trying to get by in an apocalyptic wasteland.
  


I am happy to see Dutch from Predator on this list.  I think that character represents one of Arnie's best performances.  Also, it's great to see Rollerball's (1975) Jonathan E. (James Caan) remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...