Saturday, June 22, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Characters: Pierre Fontaine



Writer, illustrator and scholar Pierre Fontaine contributes his top ten greatest science fiction film characters below.  He writes:

"I've been sitting this one out because I'm having a very hard time distinguishing between Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror characters.  So many films blur the lines.  If the category was larger than King Kong would certainly be on the top of the list.  Many of my favorite film characters are from fantasy films, many of whom were derived from book series.

Therefore, I want to limit myself to one character per film (since it would be easy to populate much of the list with Planet Of The Apes characters).  I'm also trying hard to not include film characters who originated from Sci-Fi TV shows, otherwise I'd easily include characters from the Star Trek series.

My list of favorite Sci-Fi film characters is:

1. HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. George Taylor - The Planet Of The Apes
3. Freeman Lowell - Silent Running
4. Luke Skywalker - Star Wars
5. Robby The Robot - Forbidden Planet
6. Dr. Charles Forbin - Colossus: The Forbin Project
7. Old Man - Logan's Run
8. Ellen Ripley - Alien series
9. Roy Neary - Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
10. Detective Thorne - Soylent Green


This list represents the first time we've seen two Heston characters on the top ten list (Taylor and Thorne), and the "Old Man" from Logan's Run makes his first appearance.   Also it looks like today is the day for some Robby the Robot love, which is entirely appropriate...

1 comment:

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...