Monday, June 24, 2013

Ask JKM a Question: The Best Five Years in Horror Movie History?


A regular reader,  Trent, writes:


"I own your Horror Decade books, 70's, 80's, 90's, they are thoroughly enjoyable reads and you have indicated that the best decade in totality was the 70's, if I am wrong please correct me. 

I personally agree with that assessment, being 43 years of age, but I want you to be more specific. If a you had to pick a 5 year span of horror films that have proven to be the most influential since 1970, which years would you choose. This 5 year span could of course, cross from one decade into another."

Trent, that's a great question, and after some thought, I would select as the best "five year span in horror" history as occurring from 1974 - 1979.  

Okay, that's six years, but if I could go further, I would actually choose 1973 to 1979 (and thereby include The Exorcist.)

But 1974 - 1979 is the span that gave the world The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Jaws [1975]), Carrie (1976), The Hills Have Eyes (1977), Halloween (1978), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Phantasm (1979) and Alien (1979). 

Top describe this span another way, Horror-meisters David Cronenberg (Shivers [1975], Rabid [1977], The Brood [1979],) Wes Craven, Brian De Palma (The Fury [1978]) John Carpenter, and George Romero were all at the top of their game during these years, and so was a personal favorite exploitation director of mine: William Girdler (Grizzly [1976], The Day of the Animals [1977], The Manitou [1978]).

If you look at the years between 1974 and 1979 (or 1973 - 1979), you see directors corkscrewing the genre, inventing new -- and taboo -- visions of darkness and decay.  I don't know that any other span in modern history boasts this many great films of so many types.

Another way to look at this is via the knock-offs.  Think how many knock-offs The Exorcist,  Jaws, Carrie, Halloween and Alien had between them.  There are literally hundreds of films there.  

Officially, you could also look at the numbers of sequels or remakes.  We are still getting them today, all these decades later, thus proving the influence of the originals.

4 comments:

  1. John, great thoughts. Here are more scary 1973-1979 movies I thought I would mention:

    Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark(1973)
    Devil's Rain(1975)
    Race With The Devil(1975)
    Trilogy Of Terror(1975)
    The Omen(1976)
    Shock Waves(1977)

    You wrote the definitive books on this subject.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SGB,

      Thank you for your kind words, my friend. They mean a lot to me. You have some great titles on your list. I want to write Horror TV Movies of the 1970s soon, and cover Trilogy of Terror and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark...two of my faves.

      Delete
    2. John, I think that your writing a Horror TV Movies of the 1970s book will be awesome. The '70s had so many well made television movies of this genre. I will never forget as very, very young boy in the fall of 1971 watching the ABC premiere of DUEL directed by the then unknown Steven Spielberg. I will buy this book when you publish it.

      SGB

      Delete
  2. I agree totally with your assessment John. it is difficult to navigate the five-year time span. from 1974-1979 you miss the Exorcist. However you can't lose 1979, it's replete with classics from Alien to Phantasm.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...