Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ask JKM a Question #35: Cover-Images on My Horror Decade Books?


A reader, Chad (Chadillac) writes:

I own your three Horror Movies of the decade books and had a question regarding the book covers. I know you have a great respect for The Blair Witch Project so it makes sense that it graces the cover of the 1990's book. 

I was wondering if you could explain why It's Alive and The Lost Boys were chosen for the 1970's and 1980's? Is the cover meant to symbolize the most iconic horror movie of the decade? How much say do you have over the selection?

That’s a terrific question, Chadillac.  Thank you for asking it and thank you for purchasing my big horror movie decade books too.  I know they don’t come cheap!

I love writing those books, and McFarland is a great publisher.  I’ve been in business writing books for  McFarland since I signed my first contract in 1994, so it’s a happy and long-standing relationship.  I consider the publisher family.

That fact established, I don’t have cover image approval in terms of these books.  That’s not a unique arrangement to McFarland, by the way.  It’s true of most writer/publisher relationships.  It's just how the business tends to work.

In terms of these three books, I select photos from my personal collection/archive, and then send them to McFarland with the final manuscript, including captions.  However, McFarland chooses the cover images.  I was very happy that they went with my suggestion for Horror Films of the 1990sThe Blair Witch Project (1999).

Regarding Horror Films of the 1970s, I don’t think I even offered  a recommendation, so far as a cover image was concerned.  But I was gratified with the selection of Larry Cohen’s It’s Alive because I felt that this particular film encompassed many critical ideas of the decade’s horror films, from reproductive/women’s rights (Demon Seed, The Stepford Wives) to pollution and the environment (Empire of the Ants, Prophecy) to evil children (The Exorcist).  It seemed like a perfect choice to me.

I did offer an image that I would have liked on the cover of the book when I wrote Horror Films of the 1980s. It’s a shot of Michael Myers from Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers.  

In this image, he’s carrying a huge butcher knife, and behind him, there is an infinite regression of reflections in a mirror.  I love this image, because I feel it embodies, in some sense, the idea of the slasher format’s prominence in the Reagan Decade.  

Like the image of Michael with the knife, there was one slasher film after the other after the other, going on for eternity, it felt like.

Yet honestly, I very much like The Lost Boys image on the cover of Horror Films of the 1980s, because it also captures the kind of “punk” look or aesthetic of the decade. 

Today, I enjoy and appreciate all three covers because they each consist of a single, uncluttered image (a monster baby, a vampire, or a human face) enshrouded or surrounded by a field of darkness/blackness.  

This look gives the books a uniformity that I appreciate since I view the three “Horror of” tomes as part of a consistent and continuing series.  So in this case, perhaps I should thank McFarland for taking the longer view of the series as a whole, instead of following my specific advice about one chapter...

Great question!

Don’t forget to ask me more questions at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. Good question. Fine films from which the cover images are from. You're lucky John, the publisher's favorite film could have been 'Track of the Moonbeast' and put THAT on the cover. Nothing says horror like Chase Cordell in a rubber lizard suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these books! They've supplanted my worn-out copy of Phil Hardy's 'Overlook Encyclopedia of Horror' as my horror flick "go-to" guides. Your introductions alone are some of the best, most insightful writing I've seen on the overall history, subtext and symbolism of each given decade. Absolutely invaluable.

    Will there eventually be a 'Horror Films of the 2000s'? Or possibly (please?) a 'Horror Films of the 1960s'?

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...