Saturday, July 25, 2009

News and Updates, July Edition

Between an upcoming move to a new home and a near-term book deadline in late 2009, I'm afraid I've neglected a number of interesting recent news items related to this blog, and to some of my closest friends and associates. Today, I hope to rectify the oversight by bringing you these brief updates.

First, writer/producer Joseph Maddrey's stellar documentary,
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of The American Horror Film "will make its North American debut at the Rhode Island International Film Festival on Thursday, August 6, at 9:30pm. The screening will take place at the Columbus Theatre Arts Center. A second screening will be held at midnight on Friday, August 7, at the nearby Cable Car Cinema in Providence."

As you may recall from my earlier post on the subject, Nightmares is narrated by Lance Henriksen, and features new interviews with John Carpenter, Larry Cohen, Joe Dante, Mick Garris, George Romero, Dennis Fischer and other genre luminaries.


Joe's documentary has also been accepted into this year's prestigious Deauville Festival of American Cinema. That festival will take place in September.

Meanwhile, writer and producer Marx Pyle (formerly of Sy Fy Portal) is currently shooting a Batman fan film called METAPHORS. I got a peek of some advance footage last week, and it looks pretty intriguing. More on this project as it develops...

And over at Jim Blanton's excellent Fantasmo blog, I missed (because of my travels around July 4th...) the blogger's in-depth review and rehabilitation of Fright Night 2, an eighties horror sequel that I didn't particularly care for (and which I panned in Horror Films of the 1980s). Jim makes a valiant effort and a good argument for the film's re-evaluation. I still don't like the movie, but Jim raises a number of interesting points, and that's what this game is all about, isn't it?


Also, author Paul Meehan's Cinema of the Psychic Realm has just been published by McFarland. I'm an admirer of Paul's previous books, Tech Noir and Saucer Movies, and a review copy of Psychic Realm should arrive on my doorstep any day. I'll be writing about the book here on the blog...

And heck! Don't forget that today is the very last day EVER you can vote in the 2009 Airlock Alpha Portal Awards. If you're so inclined, please vote for my independent sci-fi series, The House Between as "Best Web Production." Thank you in advance for your vote, or at least your consideration. We are up against heavy hitters this year, and every last vote counts!

What else?

This blog is now available on Kindle. So if you own a Kindle, subscribe, subscribe, subscribe...

1 comment:

  1. One of these days we're going to have to sit down together and watch Fright Night Part 2 . . . I'm sure I can convince you of its genius my friend : )

    That said I would have loved to see the version you were hoping for. It was in many ways a missed opportunity at a cool franchise. 9 out of 10 Ragsdales agree!

    ReplyDelete