Thursday, November 27, 2008

HAPPY TURKEY DAY


Hello, Readers!

Here's hoping that you and yours have a happy and safe holiday today.

Back when I was a kid (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...), I had a unique tradition on Turkey Day. Every Thanksgiving I would excuse myself from the visiting relatives after dessert and hop down into the basement playroom at 7 Clinton Road in Glen Ridge to watch a giant ape marathon on TV: King Kong, Son of Kong, Mighty Joe Young, King Kong Escapes and King Kong vs. Godzilla. My memory today is such that I can't recall if it was WPIX or WWOR that aired the marathon...but the station did it each and every year throughout the 1980s.

Anyway, it was one hell of a way to spend the holiday: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and the eighth wonder of the world. (And on Fridays, the same station aired a Godzilla movie marathon!)

Damn, those were the days...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
-JKM

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...