Friday, November 11, 2005

TV REVIEW: Night Stalker: "The Source"

Thus far, I've been a defender of the new ABC series, Night Stalker. Not a staunch defender, mind you, merely a defender. Why? Well, thus far I've enjoyed the mood/locale of the horror series: a dehumanized modern city, where well-lit city streets suggest life, but people seem to have little human contact. I've also appreciate the burgeoning subtext, that monsters are born out of human sin, not external "creatures" like vampires, the Mummy or a succubus. These two qualities, taken together, seem worthy of exploring further. And besides, Night Stalker is a whole lot smarter, scarier and more mature than our other supernatural series in 2005, the dreadful Supernatural on the WB.

Yet, I can't bring myself to write much positive about this latest installment of Night Stalker, entitled "The Source." I found it muddled, lugubrious and tedious, and was relieved when I thought it was ending...only to be disappointed that it was just the first segment of a two-part story.

"The Source" involves Kolchak (Stuart Townsend) in a case that could cost him his career. A DEA agent is a witness to the murder of a drug cartel, and then disappears. But Kolchak must find him, because the agent seems to have lost his wife in the same suspicious manner that Kolchak lost his. And the FBI agent who still wants to nail Kolchak for murder, also wants to find the missing agent. If Kolchak doesn't reveal his sources on the story of the drug cartel murder, the FBI agent will have him locked up. Meanwhile, Perri has her faith in Kolchak tested; uncertain whose side she should take in this crisis.

If that sounds interesting, don't be mistaken. This episode was a snooze-o-rama. Frankly, I had a hard time following the muddled story from point-to-point and an even harder time caring about it. By my thinking, this is the weakest episode of the show yet, and I'm stunned that I now have to tune in to see it continue next week. Hopefully, things will pick up dramatically.

I know that Night Stalker doesn't have many fans right now...and that's a shame. There really are some interesting themes at work in the show and I'd hate to lose it. But the makers of Night Stalker need to tell clearer and more interesting stories than "The Source" if they hope for the series to survive. Especially with NBC's Surface and ABC's Invasion both coming on so strong for November sweeps.

Wake me up when part 2 is over, and Night Stalker gets back to telling interesting stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...