Tuesday, September 27, 2005

TV Review: Surface, Episode # 2

I don't hate Surface. I don't appreciate it as much as the paranoia-inducing Invasion (so far..), but nor do I consider that it blows steaming stinky chunks, like Threshold or Supernatural. This week, Surface started off slowly, and I thought it was rather dull. My mind kept wandering to the mundane...like finishing the week's laundry. But then the mystery of these sea creatures started really building and - against my better judgment - I found my interest captured by them.

I also felt a really strong sense of deja vu watching this episode. As diverse characters obsessively joined together in South Carolina to investigate this new form of marine life, risking their jobs and the anger of their lonely spouses, I detected echoes of Close Encounters. As two pre-adolescents bonded together to take care of a little baby sea monster, I was reminded of E.T. As a fishing boat was eaten in one gulp by the gigantic sea monster, I couldn't help but think of Godzilla. And yet, strangely and inexplicably, I'm not terribly bothered by the references. Since Surface has the opportunity to build its story-arc over twenty-two weeks, it can eclipse these other productions and hit a lot of new notes, and build some interesting characters along the way. I submit that it's starting to do so right now. Slowly...

The mysteries on Surface? They are a-growin. What's up with the guy whose face was miraculously healed after exposure to the alien goo? What's up with the variable size of these ocean beasties? Are they just monsters, or are they "intelligent?" And really, I must say I was mighty impressed with the climactic boat attack in the waters off Australia. When has TV ever given us a real, honest-to-goodness live-action monster movie as a continuing series? I'm kinda psyched about that possibility, if you must know, having grown up with the likes of The Land That Time Forgot, King Kong, The Last Dinosaur and other productions.

I do wish that Surface's characters spoke with more distinction, individuality and intelligence. I do wish we didn't get the stereotyped military-guy and military conspiracy and curtailing of civil rights (another 9/11 reference...which is *so played out.* thanks to Battlestar Galactica exploiting it week and week out, between instances of Starbuck screwing every man in sight...) But still, I'm willing to see where Surface leads us in the next few weeks. Like Threshold, Supernatural, Invasion and all the other new series of the season, I plan to stick with Surface at least for five weeks, then make a determination if its worth the time. I'm tending to think that it is. Tonight: Supernatural episode 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...